SALT THE SNAIL @ THE SALTY DOG

The other day I had an absolute fantastic time watching a band i adore, Salt the Snail, play The Salty Dog in Northwich. I’ll tell you at the very start, it was worth the travel. 

The STS boys never fail to impress me even though I know the arrays of madness that occur at each show of theirs. To put a long (ish) story short - bubble machines, ripping paper off walls, inflatables, South Park ‘teddy’s’ and a suggestion book that involved very suggestive drawings. 

As this was the third time seeing STS I thought I knew what was coming but alas I was incorrect! They played 2/3 of their staple tunes, “Lazer Quest” - which front man Krystian did not sing; the lead of Crapsons did. The second staple they played was “Spanish Announce Table” which was derived from wrestling (as you can probably tell). STS always bringing the element of WWE never fails to disappoint me as sometimes I feel like I’m in the audience of a match! 

Half way through their set Krystian decided to do the usual mental activity of picking someone up and swinging them round his body, this time the culprit was lead of Deh-Yey (review on Deh-Yey is up now :D)! Burns was flailing about for his life looking like a snake going round a tree branch - the branch being Krystian! 

Further on into the sent the audience were told to gather round the table at the back of the room to take part in a new ‘segment’ of the show called “The Salty Suggestion Book” which added a new element to the show, a more personal touch shall we say. 

And as always with STS we come across a surprise, this time it was Krystian decoding to lift up another audience member but also have other members of the crowd help out. Basically to describe it in short terms there were about 7 people holding up a random man from the audience whilst he was planking! 

For the final song of this whimsical show the boys didn’t know what to play so they let the audience decide and I can tell this crowd were long time fans as the front man of Deh-Yeh was shouting “Spanish Announce Table” from behind me! During this song we came across Krystian pushing his way through the crowd to support the lyrics of the beautifully noisy song and we also got yet another surprise! This one being the singer from Crapsons making his long awaited return to help sing Spanish Announce much like at the start when he sang Lazer Quest! 

This Salt the Snail gig is definitely my favourite out of the three I have been to! It cost £2, the venue is lovely and the supports were all phenomenal. Deh-Yey, Earls and Mr. Ted all smashed their sets and really warmed you up for STS. I left that gig with a full SD card, new band merchandise, new bands to listen to and a hint of tinnitus which to be honest was worth it! 

Cheers for reading, this was longer review than my normal ones but I felt it needed to be as it was such a fantastic gig/night! Whilst you’re here feel free to check out any more reviews on the website! - Aimee 



Comments

Popular Posts